Sunday, July 27, 2008

{Snowflake}


So most of you know I am a Flake from Snowflake...ha ha. Yes I have heard all the jokes - I went through jr. high with the last name of Flake! You can imagine how happy I was to have the fabulous sounding last name of Ashton. I am VERY proud of my Flake heritage though! The town Snowflake was founded by my great, great, etc grandfather William Jordan Flake and another man named Erastus Snow. My Dad grew up there on a large cattle ranch owned by my Grandpa and his brothers. I lived there until I was 2, but loved going back to visit often.

My Grandparents and lots of other family members still live in Snowflake, and we always go back in July for a big family reunion and town celebration. Rodeos, Parades, Fireworks, horse ride, 4-wheelers, puppies, kittens....what more could 3 little boys want?

My Dad took Rhett and Ethan up a few days early - they were so excited! They had a great time and he even took them fishing in the canyon. We met up 3 days later with Kade and we were so happy to see them again. I took so many pictures but for some reason some of them are not posting the right way so I'll have to just delete them for now.




Ethan and Aunt Brittany


My Grandparent's house

Hayden (5) and Ethan - that's what he did when I said smile!

Ethan and Kara

Shooting silly string at the parade

Ethan loved doing sparklers

Rhett was nervous holding the sparkler, telling me "I don't like this little stick of fire".

My cute sisters


Last weekend was my Aunt Kaija's 30th B-day. Yep she's my aunt even though she's less than 2 years older than me! We have always been close and Cody and I love spending time with her and her hubby John. We met them for dinner at Carrabba's...yum! Please ignore the strange flash marks on my black shirt.


Kaija has three girls...and is pregnant with #4! I can't wait to find out what she's having!










11 comments:

Shannon said...

Looks like so much fun!! I'm with Rhett too I'm not a fan of sticks on fire! haha!! It looks like it was nice and cool up there....I'm just dreaming of cool weather these days haha!!

xoxo

Tanner Fam said...

How nice to have such a great place to go retreat. I'm sure it is giving your boys as wonderful of memories as it has for you.

shannen said...

So fun! I loved Ethan's face in the one taken with Brittany - classic Ethan! And I'm totally with you on the whole maiden name thing - mine is Fackrell. I was SO excited to drop it and take on any other name, even dumpy sounding Willard ;o) At least it's normal sounding, always pronounced correctly, and I rarely have to spell it out. hallelujah!

R A C H A E L said...

I am so jealous. I am really missing family. Snowflake looked like so much fun. Ahh, brings back childhood memories...

Tiffani said...

I want to go to Snowflake! I'm a small town girl at heart as well. There is nothing like a small town...especially on holidays. And your kids seriously crack me up. "stick of fire." That's a classic.

heidi said...

so so funny--of course i remember you--my mom told me the other day that she saw your blog somehow (you know how it is with clicking on links) and so i saw yours maybe a week ago? i don't know how though...who do we both know? anywho, i didn't know if you'd remember me, glad you do. you are such a sweet heart and have great boys--don't you just love them? did you ever know that i joined the church? where do you live now?

Nix-N-Nax Boutique said...

Sounds like you guys had a fun trip. I was so sad we missed it this year. I bet it was nice to get out of the horrible heat for a while. Your boys are the cutest...

Shel said...

This looks soo fun! Can I go too next time??

DM said...

I didn't know you were from Snowflake and I certainly didn't know your maiden name was Flake either! You poor thing! LOL! You guys are so cute...it looks like you had a lot of fun!

Michelle Ashton said...

Looks like fun!

We were in Salt Lake over the weekend and I met a lady who is related to you!

Anyway, she was an older lady serving a mission with her husband at Temple Square. When she found out where I was from, she told me she had relatives in Snowflake and one of them who was Jake flake, had just died not too long ago! Funny. Anyway, I didn't get her first name but her last name was Palmer.

Small world huh?

Lori said...

Hey Brooke I have stalked your blog a couple of times. You have such a cute family! We have three boys too. What great family heritage. My family is from Eager. I think it is about an hour from Snow Flake. My great grandparents helped found it as well. I am actually not sure how the whole story goes. I think I need a refresher. Anyways, we go there every other 4th for a family reunion. I really missed it this year.