Tuesday, July 8, 2008

{4th of July}


I hope everyone had a fabulous 4th of July!! Cody had to work in the morning, so I took the kids swimming and then fed them lunch and had naps. Then Cody got home, and we were off to Grandma and Grandpa Flake's house for a yummy BBQ and more swimming!
To dry off the boys were doing races, and they convinced everyone to take a turn racing them across the lawn. They love going to my parent's house and would go every day if I let them!

When it was starting to get dark we headed over to our city for fireworks. They usually put on a really good show. We waited...and waited...and wondered what was going on! We found out that because it was windy they were waiting for the wind to stop so they could do the fireworks. Ethan loves talking to strangers and usually asks them embarrassing questions. At the park waiting for the fireworks he (1) told the man behind us who was smoking that he was going to get black teeth and (2) asked a policeman if he wished he was a fireman because fireman are the coolest and that’s what he wants to be when he’s big. Finally, an hour and 15 minutes late the fireworks started and they were amazing. The boys loved every minute and even though the songs they were playing were the same cheesy ones they play every year I could feel my heart swelling with pride that I am an American.
I feel so, so blessed to have been born in this amazing country with so many opportunities. I wonder sometimes how I was so lucky and not others born in poverty and disease stricken countries like Africa. I get offended when people talk bad about our country, it's not perfect but it is certainly not anything to be ashamed of. Millions would love to live here so we need to appreciate it. On Sunday we had a fabulous sacrament meeting. One man got up and spoke about how the freedoms we have are bought and paid for with the blood of those who serve our country. My uncle Mike has served several times in Afghanistan and though I only know a small bit about what he went through and saw - and the sacrifice it was for his family to be without him for months - it makes me appreciate the freedom I have and the sacrifices others have made for me.
XOXO
Brooke

9 comments:

The Bluths said...

I love Ethan's funny questions. What a goof!

Nix-N-Nax Boutique said...

That cracks me up about the things Ethan said. So funny what little ones say:)

Tiffani said...

Your little Ethan...that boy is the funniest kid. Love his comments! Glad you guys had a fun 4th of July. That is a cute picture of all of you on the couch!

Shannon said...

Cute kiddo!! I would have loved to see the faces of those people!

The fireworks did take forever! Good thing the weather was nice!!!

Glad you had a nice 4th!!!

R A C H A E L said...

Amen! I always get a little teary-eyed during fireworks when they play the star spangled banner. Looks like you had a blast, and I am praying every night that we are down there next year!

Hutchinson said...

Ethan's only telling it like it is. I love it! You have such a cute family. I love the picture of you all together on the couch!

Brook & Travis said...

You and your family of boys are so cute together! Oh Ethan, what a funny boy he is! I love the feeling I get this time of year too, nothing beats the USA! I realized just how much the day I landed back home from my mission! How's the heat there? Swimming is the only thing keeping us cool here.

Heidi said...

hey brooke, i got your comment on my photo blog. we're actually living in chicago for my husband's schooling. sorry, you have an adorable family!! but when we move back to AZ in a couple years, we can talk. ;)

Karla said...

Hi Brooke,
It is good to hear from you. Your blog is adorable. Isn't Heather the best. I miss her already. I guess we both liked the name Ethan:) Your family is so cute. I see your mom and sisters all the time. YOur mom is one the sweetest people. Hope you all are going well.