Thursday, May 22, 2008

{growing up}

Well I've been waiting to post an update until I got some pics that my mom took last weekend but I feel like I'm getting too behind so I'm going to bounce around a bit the next few posts! Here's what we've been up to this week (last week I'll post about later).
So I'll start with pics from a month or so ago that I took off Becca's blog! Her son Cody had his 4th birthday party and invited a few friends to go out the desert and ride on his fun toys. Ethan had the time of his life for sure!



Yesterday was the Kindergarten program! Here's a picture of Rhett with his sweet friend Porter who's also in our ward: (how cute are they all dressed up!?!)

This is Rhett with his sweet teacher Mrs. Encarnation:

This is Mrs. Kelly, a secretary that Rhett fell in love with and she loved him back too :o).


The program was so sweet, they sang songs and then at the end there was a slide show. It had pictures of each of the kids and their recorded voices telling the favorite thing about Kindergarten this year. Rhett said "My favorite thing about Kindergarten is telling my teacher I love her each day". That is no joke either. Rhett loved her so much and told her she was beautiful almost every day. He is my little sweetheart for sure and is so very sensitive.

Speaking of sensitive - who knew your child leaving Kindergarten could be so emotional? I have cried more these last two days than I ever thought I would over something like this!! Rhett's first 2 weeks of Kinder were so hard for me. I would hold it together until he was behind those gates, then the tears would fall (masked by my big shades of course). I'd drive by the school at lunch time hoping to catch him playing at recess.

How do you just give away your child to someone you've only met once?? Lucky for me, Rhett could not have been matched with a better teacher for his personality. I could go on and on about how much I love Mrs. E, but let's just say she took my place for me while he was with her all those hours at school. Many of you know Rhett was a very late talker, at 3 he was only saying a few words so I wasn't sure how he'd do in full day Kinder. He still is not the most social child, he won't go up to kids and ask them to play with him - but he made many friends and so many sweet kids made sure to always include him. He went from playing by himself at the beginning of the year to making friends and playing in a group by the middle of the year. I don't care if my child is the most popular, or smartest - I just want them to be accepted and feel special.

Today they had a family picnic at school, it was fun and I took Ethan and Kade with me. As we hugged his sweet teacher one more time and walked out of the room and school once again I have tears streaming down my face and my shades on even though we're indoors. It just seems like he is growing up too fast.

And now to get me off this sad subject and to prevent a migraine from crying too much I will post some random pics I've been wanting to post.

Here's Rhett and Ethan in my bed during the week when Cody was gone. I made the mistake of telling them they could sleep with me and I slept horribly the whole week!


I thought this was cute:


My sister Ashley is home from BYU-Hawaii for the summer!! Here we are last week at lunch the day after she got home (thanks Jennie for watching my boys!).


Kade's obsessions: Balls, dogs, Legos (the big ones) and now Don't Break The Ice. I can't tell you how many times I set this game up for him each day! When the man falls down in the middle he says "Uh Oh! Faaa!".

He turns the stick upside down and pushes the blocks instead of hitting them. Genius, I know.


Well that's all for now. If you've read all this you are a true friend!! This was long and rambly but hey I am EMOTIONAL, what can I say.

XOXO

Brooke




10 comments:

Candace said...

Love, love, loved the pictures. These kids are all growing up without me!

Tiffani said...

Brooke that made ME cry! I am having the hardest time with Payton going to Kindergarten in the Fall. I cry every time I talk about it...imagine how I'm going to be when it actually happens!
Thank you though for sharing Rhett's eperience because it made me feel better. Payton is pretty shy too when it comes to playing with other kids. I worry so much about him being accepted. I totally agree that I don't care if he's popular, as long as he has A friend. I was just telling Derek that last night so it's crazy that you would mention it!
And such pictures. Your boys are so adorable.

Shannon said...

Oh my goodness, I have tears rolling down my face like a big ole baby! That was so sweet! he looked so handsome all dressed up! I bet you were crying!! It was great that he had such a great experience with his teachers. He will never forget that. What great memories for you both. I love tht you have pictures of the boys sleeping! That's so classic! I am the same with Hannah and letting her sleep with me some nights Phil is gone...but my neck and face for that matter pay for it when I wake up with a foot across my cheek! haha!!
Good times!!
Your such a great mother!!!

Shel said...

Brooke, you just have a way to make us ALL cry when we read you sweet blogs! I can only imgine how much Mrs. E. loved Rhett back!! What a blessing to have such a great teacher watching out for your son. Love all the pics. And the one-word post. I get my boost when I read your blog. Mine hasnt been soo uplifting lately...and I have MUCH catching up to do when I get my actual computer back!! Love the quad pics too...soo fun! The Ashtons sure know how to have a GOOD time!!

The Bluths said...

Ok maybe I should have read this post first before commenting on the top one. ;)

Boy it's gonna be hard when I get to that point! You're such an inspiration.

Jesmyluk said...

Brooke, I would like to say that it gets easier, when the next one goes to school, and maybe it does for some, but it didn't for me. When Kieran went, he was fine and I could cry all the way home and did, for the first couple of weeks. But when Liam went, I was so much more worried about him. Would the kids pick on him because he was different? Would he be okay without me there to interpret what he says? He did fine. Although because he cried when I started to leave that meant I had to hold it altogether till I was completely gone. McKenna is next, she starts (just) preschool this next year and I am already missing her little face and she hasn't even gone. My heart aches when my babies leave the house without me. All I can say is, you have joined the rank of many moms and some dads, that all wear big sunglasses and have to smile through their tears on the first day of school. Welcome to the club. We'll be here whenever you need support, its what we do. Love you Brooke you are such a good mom!

R A C H A E L said...

I'm all teary eyed! How wonderful to have a son so loving and sensitive. Rhett always seemed to be in love with you when he was little. I love the pics in of the boys in bed! Those are so sweet!Its so great to have boys! I must admit, I am going to be just like you when Zoey goes to Kindergarden. When she went to sunbeams, I had to book it to the bathroom and cried for 5 minutes. As one of my Laurels says, "It is a gift of the spirit to weep." Let it all out, sista!

shannen said...

So sweet and the pictures were precious! I'm so glad to hear that Rhett loved Mrs E so much - I'm really hoping that's who Josh gets next year - I was so very impressed with her at Meet the Teacher night a couple weeks ago.

It truly is a bittersweet thing to watch your kids grow up. It's fun to see them change and mature and take on their own personas outside of your influence, but it's also so sad because suddenly they're not your little babies anymore - they're kids out there being exposed to the world and you just hope and pray that the world is kind to them. The first grade team at CR is great though so he should have as great of a 1st grade experience as he did with Kgtn!

Tanner Fam said...

Rhett looks so grown up! Being a mother is truly one of the most selfless acts. We let go of what we love so much. Rhett may not always remember his kinder year, but will always know how much you love him. What a lucky kid!! :)

CAid said...

https://www.100xcoin.io