Tuesday, June 10, 2008

{Uncle Jake}

My Grandpa Flake, Jake, Steve, and Jed (his brothers)

On Sunday my Uncle Jake (actually my dad's uncle - my grandpa Dean's brother) passed away unexpectedly. He had just broken several ribs a few weeks earlier after a horse riding accident but appeared to be healing just fine until Sunday. Even though he is my great-uncle, I still felt so close to him and will miss him so much at the Flake Reunion we go to every Pioneer Weekend.

My Grandpa and his brothers are amazing men, true cowboys in the best way. They owned a cattle ranch in Snowflake Arizona and all lived along a winding dirt road I loved to visit when I was a child. I can remember summers spent walking along that road with my aunt Kaija. We would go in their barns, ride their horses, go inside and eat homemade cookies. Uncle Jake would give you a huge bear hug that would almost take the breath out of you but it felt so good. Tomorrow I am going to a memorial service in Phoenix, I will not be able to make it to the funeral in Snowflake.

Here's a link to some articles written after his death (click on the word): Jake Flake



Here's a tribute to Uncle Jake that my uncle Jeff did on the House Floor: Tribute

5 comments:

shannen said...

Brooke, I'm so sorry for the loss of your uncle. What a great blessing you had to know such a great man. Our prayers are with you and your family at this time. Let me know if you need anything else! Love ya girl!

Jesmyluk said...

Brooke, What a truly great man!! I am so sorry you have to go through such pain. If there is anything you need please pick up the phone and call me. He will be remembered and missed. Love you!

Tanner Fam said...

Sorry to hear that Brooke. What a great legacy, though.

ScennyLloyd said...

Just before I read your blog I had seen a brief story about him on the news. I didn't know that he was your uncle but I heard that the memorial service would be at an LDS church so you always listen a little more after that. They spoke of all the good that he did and what a great leader he was. He sounds like a truley amazing man and one who will be missed.

Shannon said...

I'm so sorry! You know I am here for you always. Hang in there.