Thursday, July 1, 2010

{End of School}

The end of school is always filled with lots of fun parties, events, programs, etc. This year it also included an ambulance ride and lots more fun medical bills! (can you sense my sarcasm??)

Two days before school was out I was on the other line when someone from the school called. When I returned the call it took several minutes for the secretary to figure out that "Nurse Andy" had been trying to reach me. By the time I spoke to him, he had already called Cody at work, and informed me that he had called 911 and an ambulance was on its way to the school for Ethan. He had fainted in the cafeteria line at lunchtime and the nurse said he was very pale and not acting normal. He really seemed concerned and had me very worried as I rushed to the school.

When I got to his office the paramedics were already there, along with firefighters and they were doing their medical assessments while everyone was asking me a million questions. They all felt that he needed to go to the ER and while my intuition told me he was fine, I didn't have the guts to act like the uncaring mother who just takes her child home and doesn't give them the medical care everyone feels he needs! Flashback to last summer, Ethan fainted twice, both times in when out in the sun playing sports. I fainted several times as a child, I think I would lock my knees. Anyways...back to the drama.

They loaded him up on the stretcher and he was put in the ambulance. The funny part was watching all his fellow 1st grade friends who were out at recess watching at the gate while Ethan was being put in the ambulance. They were all impressed/worried. Ethan was brave as he got an IV, blood drawn, as well as a CAT scan and EKG. After his CAT scan the tech was so thoughtful and brought Ethan into the backroom to view images of his brain. He thought that was very cool. Everything came back normal and we were on our way a few hours later.

Kade was in a cute preschool group this year with just 3 year olds. Mrs. Tracey was so fun and he really looked forward to Tuesday and Thursdays. The picture below is at a "Teddy Bear Picnic" they went on this spring.



At his little graduation ceremony they first sang songs. He cracked us up with his sweet dance moves, it was pretty funny to watch. Then she read from little books they had made, and we learned that when he grows up he would like to be a Tiger.





Ethan had an amazing Kindergarten teacher this year, Mrs. Rideau. She moved to California a few weeks before school ended, and luckily her sub for the rest of the year Mrs. Knaggs, was just as sweet. The kids were so excited when Mrs. Rideau made a surprise visit on the last day of school.







Rhett also had a fabulous teacher, Mrs. Malasnik. She loved to tease the class and he would always come home telling me stories of how she had made him laugh. He is especially lucky because she is moving up to 3rd grade next year and taking her whole class with her! We are thrilled!!

4 comments:

larainydays said...

Mrs. Knaggs? That is the best name ever. I want to be Mrs. Knaggs.

I think the ambulance ride was a worthwhile investment in Ethan's personae at grade school. He will get a lot of mileage out of that notoriety. Just don't move.

Unknown said...

Brooke I love all the pictures. Kade's teddy bear picnic is so cute. Ethan looks like he enjoys being surrounded by girls (the fainting episode probably helped there - that one girl has her arms around him to catch him in case he passes out again.)
I like Rhett's basketball picture and his teacher looks so fun.

wackywilsons said...

End of the year excitement for your family! I am glad that Ethan is okay, what a scare.

Cute cute pictures of them and their teachers...

And isn't the summer just flying by too?

Tanner Fam said...

It's always about the drama with you.... :)
And what's up with your mom looking younger???